John P. Johnson III Scholarship
We often interact with families who are going through crisis and difficult circumstances. One of our missions is to assist families with direction and tools so that they can emerge from trying situations. One way that we encourage positive steps, is by giving away a scholarship for a deserving student who wants to further their education and may need assistance. JCAG believes that the desire for any student to further their education is a step in the right direction.
The John P. Johnson III scholarship was designed to help those high school students who are court involved, want turn their lives around and become productive citizens. The scholarship was named after Mr. John Johnson who worked at the Clayton County Juvenile Court for 30 years. He served as a Probation Officer, Probation Supervisor and Director for 15 years. He retired in August 2018. Mr. Johnson was a two term JCAG President, received numerous awards and held multiple office positions in JCAG.
2023 John P. Johnson III
The JCAG Scholarship Committee presents a scholarship check to several high school students who meet college eligibility. The students are chosen based on the following criteria:
1. The student must be college eligible and is planning on attending a college, university or trade/technical school after they graduate and submit a letter of acceptance to their Probation Officer, Mediator or JCAG Member.
2. The student must have been court involved since the beginning of the current school year of August 2022.
3. The student must attach their most recent progress report card and Submit an essay on “Why they should be chosen for this scholarship” and be turned in to their probation officer, mediator or any JCAG member, who in turn will submit the essay to their appropriate court representative.
4. The Court Representative will forward the essay to Carvelle Taylor, Clayton County Juvenile Court, 9163 Tara Blvd, Jonesboro, GA 30236 or firstname.lastname@example.org
5. Carvelle Taylor will present the essay to the Executive board for voting. The child, parent and court officer will be notified of the selection. The student and parent will be presented with the scholarship at the JCAG Conference Awards Luncheon.
Past JCAG Scholarship Recipients